Here Are a Few FAQs You Should Know the Answer to Before Leaving for Your Trip.

Per Diem

How much money do I get for food and miscellaneous expenses (per diem) per day?

The current approved rate for per diem is $46.00 per full day. In case of full plus partial days, per diem is calculated at rate of ¼ the approved rate ($11.50) per six- hour segment (e.g. midnight to 6 a.m.; 6:01 a.m. to noon; 12:01 p.m. to 6 p.m.; 6:01 p.m. to midnight).

Per diem may only be advanced or reimbursed for business travel that consists of at least one (1) full day. A full day of business travel must include an overnight stay.To receive an advance for hotel and per diem, the combined estimated expenses must exceed $100.00.

What types of travel expenses are reimbursable (e.g. luggage, transportation, etc.)?


*Per Diem


*Airline Fees (luggage)

*Car Rental

*Car Rental Fuel




*Wi-Fi Connection (for work related used)

*Train Tickets


Travelers should choose the most economical way to travel and prepare a comparison costs travel expenses chart before booking any flight or rental car. The expenses above must be justified in order to be reimbursed. 

What types of expenses are not reimbursable (e.g. parking, alcohol, etc.)?

Alcohol, tips, personal entertainment expenses.


How long do I have to submit my expenses once I return?

A completed expense report with actual receipts attached, along with a check made payable to North Lake College for any amounts owed, should be sent for Business Office approval within 10 business days of completion of the trip.

What information should I keep during my trip and submit to the business office once I return?

Detailed receipts that justify your actual expenses including:

*A copy of your registration information

*An agenda

*Detailed invoice from hotel

*Parking receipt

*Taxi receipt

*Flight ticket information

*Airline fee receipt

All of these documents should show the proof of payment with zero balance.

How long does it take to receive my reimbursement? And how will I receive it (e.g. via check, direct deposit, etc.)?

Once the Business Office has made sure that all travel expenses have been correctly justified and have been attached to the expense report, the trip reconciliation will be approved, processed, and sent to the District Business Office.The District Business Office releases direct deposits Tuesdays and Thursdays only. Direct deposits will be processed within 10 business days.


What do I do/who do I contact in the event of an emergency (e.g. my flight is delayed or canceled, my hotel is overbooked, I have a medical or personal emergency that requires my immediate return etc.)?

For delayed or canceled flights, travelers should contact Corporate Travel Planners at 800- 523-9036 (toll free) or 210-366-9565 (local).If the traveler booked the flight through another airline company, DCCCD will not be responsible for this expense.

For overbooked hotel, the traveler should contact CTP if the hotel was booked through our travel agency.

If the conference hotel was booked, the traveler should contact the conference or hotel directly to make new arrangements.

For personal emergencies, the traveler should contact his direct supervisor and let him/her know that requires an immediate return.

Have more questions? Contact Brenda Avila in the Business Office at 972-273-3243.