When most people think about careers in healthcare, they think of doctors, surgeons or nurses. But there are a whole world of in-demand healthcare jobs out there — and many of them require only a certification.
The term “Allied Health” refers to healthcare occupations which provide critical support for doctors and nurses as they treat patients. Pharmacy technicians, personal trainers, and those who handle specialized medical equipment can enter their fields with a certification from North Lake College.
- Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers. This class teaches students techniques for life-saving CPR.
- EKG Technician. EKG technicians work with cardiologists and in hospitals, monitoring heart rates, operating test equipment, and talking with patients.
- HESI Test Preparation. The HESI is the entrance exam for nursing school students, and prepares students to enter the NLC and El Centro College nursing program.
- Medical Coding and Billing. Medical coders and billers handle payments at medical offices, working with new systems for billing and insurance. These courses can be completed in as little as 6-8 weeks.
- Pharmacy Technician. Pharmacy technicians act as assistants for licensed pharmacists, providing medication to patients. North Lake partners with CVS for student internships.
- Phlebotomy. Phlebotomists draw blood, handle blood samples, and screen blood donors. They can find work at almost any type of medical practice.