The GCA Student Seminar is an intensive, seven-day international experience that aims to help students develop a better understanding of the processes and effects of globalization. Participants learn about the core values involved in being global citizens. They also find out how to integrate those values into their actions. The goal of the program is for students to return to campus ready to make positive changes in their college campus, as well as in their local and global communities.
The Global Citizenship Alliance was founded in 2004 and has worked with more than 3,300 students, faculty and administrators to make global citizenship the foundation for knowledge and action in the 21st century. The seminar takes place at the historic Schloss Leopoldskron, a palace (where much of the “Sound of Music” movie was filmed) that overlooks the Alps and Hohensalzburg Castle in Salzburg, Austria.
The GCA Student Seminar will be held from May 22-29, 2020. Travel logistics, registration and lodging will be arranged and paid for each student.
To qualify, you must:
- Be enrolled as a student at a college of Dallas County Community College District and have already completed 12 credit hours with at least a 3.5 GPA.
- Commit to enroll at the same college in Fall 2020 and continue as a student through the Fall semester.
- Commit to participate in a global leadership and trip orientation seminar scheduled for March/April and become part of a global student leadership team engaged in sharing aspects of your experience with others in the college and community during the Fall of 2020.
- Be at least 18 years old by May 24, 2020.
- Be a United States citizen and possess a valid U.S. passport with at least six months’ validity beyond May 24, 2020.
- Have fulfilled the requirements of the DCCCD international travel policies.
Your application is due to Dr. Sherry H. Boyd (H-301 or firstname.lastname@example.org) by February 14, 2020. In addition to the application itself, you must provide a letter of recommendation from a professor whose class you have taken or are taking. Finalists will be interviewed. If you do not have a US passport, you should apply for one at this time. Your passport must be valid for six months beyond the end of the trip.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity or have questions, please contact Dr. Sherry H. Boyd (email@example.com).