Veterans face unique challenges as they enter college and pursue their degrees. That’s why, at North Lake College, we believe in making sure our vets have every tool they need to succeed.
The NLC Vet Center has helped earn North Lake special citations as Military Friendly and a Military Times Best for Vets college, and the Vet Center was also a finalist for a Bellwether Award for outstanding, innovative service. For 2017, Military Times ranks North Lake 15th among all American two-year colleges.
Led by Lt. Col. Skip Ragler (ret.), the Vet Center prides itself on service. Doors are always open, and the advisor team helps student veterans with everything from VA benefit certification to overcoming physical and learning disabilities.
Some of the many resources for veterans at NLC:
- College Credit for Heroes. This program offers credit for certain classes if veterans gained experience in the relevant fields during their years of service.
- Personal advising from our team of expert counselors. We take pride in going above and beyond the call of duty; our office can help veterans plan a degree, choose classes, register, and fill out all certification and paperwork for VA benefits.
- An active Student Veterans Association (SVA). The SVA provides veterans with a place to connect and organizes community events like a 5K fundraiser, which raised money for a new student veteran scholarship. SVA faculty advisor Hillary Gallego was voted 201X NLC Teacher of the Year by her students.
- Assistance from all departments on campus. The Vet Center works closely with counseling, disability services, and career services to provide our veterans with everything they need to graduate.
- Distance-learning and online classes, and flexible class schedules, for vets trying to balance study with work or family.
- Referrals to other campus and community resources.
This five-star treatment supports student veterans by easing their transition from service to college life.